He was great. He was loved. He was exciting. He was fast. He played hard. He gave 110% every day. Now, hes gone. In case youve been in a cave or under a rock you know that Jose Reyes is a now a Miami Marlin. Hes now the enemy so i feel like i can say what i want about him. To put things into perspective: The Mets won 77 games in a year when Jose Reyes had a carer year. What are we really losing here? A great player? Of course. But its not like they are losing the guy who took them to the playoffs for the last 10 years. He made one post season with the team in 2006. And really if you think about that team Reyes barely registers. I think of Paul LoDuca, Cliff Floyd, Willie Randolph, David Wright, Endy Chavez, Ollie and John Maine. Thats not to say he wasnt important to that team - he was - but he wasnt the most important part. They should have made it in 2007 and maybe they would have if Reyes had hit better than .205 in September. They should have made it again in 2008 and again maybe they would have if Reyes had hit better than .245 in September.
For all the adjectives that have been used to describe Jose Reyes the one word that I most associate him with is "injuries"
Where do we begin:
consequences. And thats just it isnt it? You cant have it all. The Mets were really in a no-win situation here. I think ultimately they made the right decision. As a Mets fan what else can we hope? We hope that Sandy knows what hes doing and hope that this team can rebuild fast.
Was Jose Reyes a great player for the Mets? Yes. Did they make the right decision? Who cares!?! Whats done is done and we have to move on. We dont root for the players we root for the team. So lets just hope that we can see some good baseball this year and that the rebuilding process doesnt take too long.
One other thing ... I cant wait to hear the fans reaction when he comes to Citi Field in April ...... If hes not the DL that is.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Bob Shepard also passed away this week. That makes two huge losses for the Yankees family in a week.
What does that mean for a Mets fan? Dont watch the All Star game. Its bound to be a Yankees love fest.
Would anyone be surprised if Jeter knocked in the winning run? Im already dreading the headlines.
"A midsummer nights Captain" perhaps? Or maybe "The Captain delivers a victory to the The Boss"
Either way ill be staying away and hoping the Reyes doesnt injure himself congratulating Hanley.
at 3:47 PM
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
1) Do we want him?
2) Do we need him?
3) Who would would we have to give up fro him?/ Who are we willing to give up fro him?
4) How much are we willing to pay him?
Lets break this down one point at a time.
1) Do we want him? - Yes. Of course we do. Hes a great pitcher who is an ace on most teams. A top 3 of Santana Pelfry and Oswalt would be pretty tough for any team to beat in a short series.
2) Do we need him? Well - I guess so. But right now theyre playing so well its hard to see it. As Jerry Manual said - 9 - 2 (combined record of Dickey and Takahashi) is tough to beat. Although you would assume that Tak is going back to the bullpen when Maine comes back. Either way I disagree with Jerrys statement (and i assume he doesnt really believe it either). So i guess the real question is: Do we need him to make the playoffs? I dont know. I would like to think that they can make the playoffs with the team as it is currently constructed or by adding a guy like Jake Westbrook.
3) Who would would we have to give up fro him?/ Who are we willing to give up for him?
Heres the interesting part. It seems like to get Oswalt the Mets wouldnt have to give up as much as you would think because the Astros are looking to dump all 30 Million dollars owed to him through 2011.
But its interesting to think of the hypothetical. I would definitely trade Fernando Martinez to get him. Im pretty much done with him. The guy cant stay on the field. And heres the shocker. I think i would give up Carlos Beltran to get Oswalt! There are some who think Beltran may never play again in a Mets uniform anyway. Clearly hes upset/Boras is upset and wants make sure Beltran is well rested for next year when hes playing for another contract. There are no guarantees with him. Hes still not cleared for baseball activity. Hes not playing in rehab games and his contract is up at the end of next year. Ill give that up to get Oswalt and take my chances with Frenchy and Angel thank you very much!
4) How much are we willing to pay? Well - that i cant answer. But i would imagine that the Mets would loosen the purse-strings to get Oswalt (at least i hope they would)
As for Cliff Lee - it seems as if the Ms want Jon Niese and Omar isnt bugging. Good for him! Lee is a free agent at the end of the year and the Mets risk losing him then.
It should be interesting to see who the Mets pursue. I still believe that the Mets will end up with a Jake Westbrook type of pitcher and not give up a whole lot in terms of prospects and take their chances with the current team. I dont know if its the best move but its the move i feel like they will make.
Either way it should be a fun summer!
Lets Go Mets!!
at 10:56 AM